Monday 22 October 2012

Bowel movements and a Sunday roast

What a shitty subject to talk about :) Oh well, it's all part of being human and even the hottest models and the queen take a dump on a regular basis!

On my 3-week pre-op milk and yogurt diet, I had the runs pretty much all the time. Firstly because I couldn't tolerate that much lactose (still can't) and after cutting lactose it's still been on the softer side but when all you consume is liquid, what goes out is also liquid, it's only normal.

After my op, I couldn't do it until the 5th day or so. Main reasons were: 1. I didn't eat much so there wasn't enough to come out, 2. I was on co-codomol which gives you constipation, 3. I was scared to try because my incisions hurt.

When I managed to go on the 5th day post-op, it was a very small piece of a very dark colour goo. Apparently this is normal. It didn't hurt to 'push' though so maybe if I tried, I could have done it sooner.

Afterwards, I just had an episode last night, which wasn't pleasant at all...

See, my husband is a lovely man and he loves and supports me. He's been very patient with me during my pre-op and he hasn't cooked anything in the house and he didn't bring any smelly food with him. I was so bored of milk and yogurt at the time, even the cat food smelled delicious lol! Even in the hospital when he had to eat something he ate it in the bathroom - didn't want to leave me, bless him. So it's only fair and understandable when he asked permission yesterday if he could cook himself a Sunday roast and I said of course he could, he's been super so far and he deserves it.

I even helped him prepare (he's a little clumsy) and supervised and made sure he cleaned after himself :) But I didn't realise everything would smell so yummy! Of course it would, why wouldn't it? And of course he had to have my favorite meat - lamb... Arghhhhhh!

 Image from Wikipedia

I've been very good though, I didn't eat anything. The potatoes roasted so nicely, all crisp on the outside and fluffy inside... Bastard, he's so good at roasting potatoes :) The smells watered my mouth... So I reached for the home made gravy and ate a couple of spoonfuls. That was all I could have and I did have it.

Shortly after, I had the worst wind pain since the op. I was almost tearful, it hurt so much. A big pressure on my chest and on my back plus a rumbling stomach... The gravy must have been too rich for my poor post-op tummy to cope with. I started walking up and down the house, climbed up and down the stairs, took some painkiller and my husband rubbed my back.

Finally in an hour or two, which felt like eternity, I managed to fart. Then I had to run to the loo and sit there for a while. Diarrhea... where did that come from?? It was very light yellow and water consistency. Afterwards, I felt sooo much better. Pain was gone but it left me exhausted so I went to bed to lie down for a bit, only to pass out in a couple of seconds.

I woke up at 5am this morning and felt the need to go again. Same as last night. Hopefully this will be the last and I promise to stick to clearer liquids for a couple of days, no more rich soups or stupid gravy of the stupid Sunday roast that smelled heavenly, bleh...

I just noticed the time... Last week this time, I was sitting in the reception of Dolan Park hospital, shaking with nerves. Time does fly :) x



No comments:

Post a Comment