Sunday 28 October 2012

End of first week back at work

Life is getting back to normal socially and professionally but with my new way of eating this is my second life :) When you worked so hard for a second chance, it's harder to take it for granted and even when I forget every now and then, remembering my little band makes me smile. I am happy :)

I won't lie, first day back at work was agony. I don't think I was ready just yet but it got better every day and by the end of the week I barely felt the incisions hurt when I moved and I had more energy. I think pain makes you tired.

I had soups and little pots of low fat low sugar puddings at work with the odd Slim Fast. I find that I can tolerate them now, maybe it was such a problem when I was having such a huge amount of milk during pre-op diet.

I found drinking enough a bit of a problem this week. I am struggling to keep my liquid intake high enough. Most I managed was 1.7 litres. Weather being rubbish doesn't help and I get full up so quickly, I can't really finish any drink. I should be sipping non stop all day to get enough fluids in and I simply forget to. Checking the colour of my urine every time, it's not dark at all, I think I really didn't need as much liquids?

I find myself getting hungry during the day too. I eat/drink something and I get full easily so it's good but my stomach must be healing well so I take the hunger as a positive thing :)

I was sick and tired of soup this week though so I mixed gravy in and liquidised normal food into thin purees. Really helped. I could barely manage 1/4 of a meal for 1 foods per meal so that's also great. I've treated myself to M&S food a couple of times this week, it was lovely.

I still shower with waterproof plasters on my incisions and remove them immediately after the shower. I'm holding on to the glue like a security blanket. Terrified of getting them infected so I try not to touch them but I feel they are quite scabby and dry on the top now. Looks like they will peel very shortly. Not worried at all about scarring although I feel like one of them might scar a bit. A tiny price to pay for a huge improvement :)

I lost 34 pounds since my consultation day with Dr Super, which was exactly 6 weeks ago, average 5-6 lb a week. This is amazing, I've never managed to stick to a diet this long and lose this much in one go. I dropped one size already and can't wait for more! I was a bit disappointed with my loss after the surgery though - only 4 lb in the last two weeks. I've lost more on the pre-op! I will not worry though, this must be a result of the starvation mode. I'm aiming for 1000 calories a day this week and hopefully it will make a difference.

I'm finding it very inconvenient to exercise, lol. I used to walk to work and back in my pre-op and it helped a lot. 60 min walk in total, great exercise. But now it's dark and miserable and wet and cold... I would be scared to walk back home after work in the dark. Not that it's dodgy or anything it's just really dark, that road can get pitch black at night! I remember once we were walking home from town after a night out with my husband and we almost fell a couple of times - not cos we were drunk but because you couldn't see the pavement!

In the last couple of days, I spent my lunch hour walking around in town. If it's raining then I go to the shopping centre and walk up and down there :) I don't want to sign up for a gym because we're moving in the new year and they contract for a year. There's The Gym Group where they don't require annual contracts but the problem with that is, it's tiny and apparently packed pretty much all the time and you have to wait for your turn on the gym equipment. I don't feel healed enough to hop on the elliptical trainer yet anyway...

I'll sign up for the gym where we'll move in the new year and I'll go back to swimming. The most success I had with dieting and exercising was a few years back when we swam every morning before work with my husband. Sadly now he works in London and he doesn't have time in the mornings and he doesn't have energy in the evenings... And I really don't want to go swimming on my own before I lose another 30 pounds!

Mushies next week, eeek! I'm scared of eating anything that is not a puree... Dr Superman said take it easy and don't rush. I think I'd only have soft food at home to begin with, just in case. Stick to softer stuff at work for another couple of days maybe...

Going back to work successfully done, what's next challenge? Christmas?  :)  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment