Sunday 21 October 2012

Surgery Day - Part 2 - After the Surgery

First part of the surgery day can be found here. This post covers what happened after I woke up :)

It only felt like a second or two after i passed out when I heard someone talk to me. No idea what they said but I remember waking up, opening my eyes, seeing some woman's very blurry face looking at mine. I think I asked her if it went well and she said yes. I asked if they could put the band in and she said it was very successful and that she'll take me to my room now. I remember being pushed in my bed to my room but couldn't open my eyes. I heard people talk but I couldn't look at them. It was all fine and calm and peaceful.

I remember managing to open my eyes a little to see my husband and we talked, not sure what we said though. Then I thought I'll close my eyes for another second or two and then wake up... and I did. Although, apparently it was not a couple of seconds but a couple of hours :)

When I opened my eyes fully, I noticed the oxygen mask on my face, it didn't bother me but I didn't think it did much either so I got rid of it :P They also said oxygen levels in my blood was 100% so that was good. Blood pressure, again, was good and normal. The nurses kept visiting very often, checking oxygen levels, blood pressure etc. I had a Clexane injection to prevent blood clots.

While I was asleep my husband texted all our family and friends to let them know and they were ringing him back to check and everyone was very surprised to hear me on the phone so shortly after the op when he passed the phone to me :)

Slowly, I started to notice the pain in my abdomen and left of my back... it was getting sharper and sharper. I asked for painkillers but the nurse said I was already given some and that I should try to sleep a bit. Easy to ask... I think I managed to nap on and off for an hour or so until I was given some more painkillers, which really helped. At this point, I felt like I was ready to go back to sleep so I sent my husband out to get something to eat for himself.

I believe I've been asleep for an hour or so when a nurse came in and told me we'll need to change the bedding and my clothes etc. Ahhh, nice, hello clothes and byebye hospital gown. I held out my hand so she can help me get up but she said I needed to do it on my own. Great... I pushed myself on my armes but man it hurt so much! The pain took my breath away and I folded on to myself while trying to get up it was sooo painful. She helped me put my pyjamas on and changed the bed sheets - they were covered in iodine. I thought it was blood first and got scared but nope, all good :)

Also, they brought me to a semi-sitting position which was much better than lying down on my back. I sat there on the edge of the bed, dressed in my pyjamas all nice and clean and couldn't really move! My husband came back and found me all dressed up, I bet that made him happy although he was sad to miss my first getting up, I told him it's better that he didn't because it wasn't pretty...

I sipped some peppermint tea, then walked around a bit better after another go at painkillers. At this point 3 of us, all just banded, were walking up and down the corridor :))

One of the other ladies said she was so hungry and they gave her chicken soup and it made her feel much better. At that second I felt such relief because I was feeling hungry too! I was just to embarrassed to tell anyone because I thought I wasn't supposed to have an appetite after the surgery! I also had some soup and I think at that moment, that cup of chicken soup was the best food I've ever tasted in my life :)

Mr Super came to see me at some point, I can't remember when exactly. He told me the op went really well, my liver shrunk good and the rest of my organs looked very healthy and they weren't fatty at all. I was really pleased to hear that because I thought the worst of myself as always.

He said a small size band (10ml) fitted just fine and he even put a 1ml fill in it, yay!

After a while I felt my legs were getting swollen and the anti-embolism stockings got very painful They started to roll down and that really hurt. We took them off and the nurse said it's ok because I was mobile and they would put blood circulation boots on for the night when I go to bed which will be connected to a machine. It was a bit like blood pressure monitor but not painful at all.

I was told I'm supposed to pee tonight and I had a go. Sat there for 20 minutes but managed it in the end.

I went to bed around 11pm (husband had to leave around 10ish) with the wraps around my calves. I thought it would be awkward to sleep like that but it didn't feel weird at all, I slept just fine after Skype'in a couple of friends.

What a day... Felt like it was longer than 24 hours at times and also felt like it did fly past.

This is the day I was reborn :) even my husband calls me Wife 2.0! X

No comments:

Post a Comment