Sunday 14 October 2012

Pre-Op Diet - Day 21 - Day before surgery

I can't believe how time flies. It's the last day of my pre-op diet and tomorrow morning I'll be at Dolan Park hospital and finally get banded!

I'm rather nervous at the moment but I think it's mostly because of what I don't know. I'm prepared for what I know but there are so many things I'm unsure of.

Will they find my veins alright? It's always been a pain (literally) to get blood tests done for me. Will my hand/arm bruise badly as it always does? Will my legs fit in the anti embolism stockings? Will my pre op blood tests etc be good for me to have the op? Will I gain weight overnight and go over 50 BMI? Did my liver shrink enough? How much will it hurt after the op? Will my husband, rest of the family and close friends be sick with worry during surgery? Will I see my cats again? Will I live?

It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm - bloody freezing now though. We had a lazy morning and although I was awake from 5am, we had a lie in and cuddled up with the cats. Around mid day we took them to the cattery and came back home to finish tidying up. I took a long shower while my husband watched the grand prix.

We left the house around 5pm and drove to Bromsgrove and checked in the hotel we booked, very close to Dolan Park hospital. Left our luggage in the room and went out to find the hospital. It's very close but you drive through narrow country lanes.

It's a very nice building with a fountain outside and a little lake in it's grounds. We went in and had a quick look around and that's when the fear kicked in...

We came back to the hotel, I was shivering but apparently it's not that cold, it must be the nerves. I sent my husband out to grab dinner and I talked to my mum. I could hear she was tearful while trying to calm me down and I could hear her fear when she was telling me not to be scared. Not her fault of course, she's trying very hard to keep her cool but she wants to be here. I want her to be here with me too but I want her to be with my dad more than I want her for myself. Better for the both of them.

By the time I finish typing this I expects husband to be back and we'll watch a film or something to busy ourselves. Hopefully I can sleep tonight...

It may be the day before my surgery and the last day of the pre-op diet but I'm still on the pre-op diet so I've been good:

09:00 am - Muller light cherry yogurt
10:00 am - Decaf coffee made with 275ml lactofree semi skimmed
11:45 am - Muller light cherry yogurt
12:15 pm - Decaf coffee made with 250ml unsweetened soya milk
14:15 pm - Slim Fast ready-made raspberry
16:00 pm - 400ml water
18:00 pm - Starbucks venti soya latte (600ml)

Total calories: 804kcal
Total liquids: 1925ml
Total milk: 1525ml (~2.6 pints)
Total yogurts: 2

I'll try to get some more liquid in me tonight. Still have the oxo cube with me but I don't really fancy it. I might have a green tea or black decaf coffee. I really miss black coffee.

Hopefully next time I post here I will have my band :)

I am scared of this and that but I know that in the long run it will be so worth it. I know this was the right thing to do for me. I was dreading the pre-op milk diet and yes it was hard work but I've done it. I am now dreading the post op pain and I know it will be a tough couple of days but I also know that I can do it. I will do it :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment