Wednesday 21 November 2012

First dietitian appointment

Hello blog :)

I had my first dietitian appointment on Monday, a lovely lady from The Hospital Group rang me and it took about half an hour or so. In fact I wanted to have the first session face to face when I go for my first fill this Saturday but central London clinic was fully booked for the day so I'll have to go to Hammersmith clinic for the fill.

She asked me how I'm doing, what I usually eat, what I struggle with etc. I told her and she reckons I'm doing quite well. She said the weight loss so far is fantastic :)

One of my problems was fish, I really can't swallow fish, it gets stuck. She recommended trying different, oily fish like salmon maybe with a bit of sauce (although dry foods are recommended with the band) - I will try a bit of salmon this weekend I think. if I'll have to PB (productive burping = throwing up in polite words lol) then I'll want my first one to be while I'm home!

Other thing I find hard is not drinking while eating but she said actually it's ok as long as you don't use drinks to push the food down. As long as I give 1 minute after the last swallow and let the food go down, I can drink and go back to eating - yay! Also she said never ever gulp, only sip as if you're sipping a glass of wine whatever you drink because gulping in the long run may damage the band, eek. This is one thing I'll have to learn...

She booked my next appointment for 15th of December and I'll see her first and have my second fill afterwards. This was quite handy because booking my first fill and first dietitian appointment was a bit of a struggle as they are really busy on the weekends.

She emailed me more up-to-date documents and advise on menus 5th week onwards. To sum the whole thing up, eat dry and crunchy foods so the band works best. And actually I'll just carry on what I'm doing so far and maybe vary foods a bit more like have a side salad with lunch etc.

I now know that I definitely need a fill even though I do have restriction because if you're at the sweet spot, the optimum restriction, the green zone, whatever you call it, then you don't get hungry for 4-5 hours between meals. I get hungry an hour after I eat!!! I need more restriction :)

Looking forward to my first fill and dreading it at the same time. What I think my port is might be scar tissue and it could be somewhere completely different! It's weird, I feel something hard an inch or so above one of my bigger incisions when standing up and when I lie down, it's exactly under the incision. So maybe it's not my port? Where is my port? I guess we'll find out on Saturday... :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment