Thursday 20 September 2012

Pre-Pre-Op Diet - Day 4

I sat down to write today's post after a yummy dinner (perfectly low-cal!) and I remembered what I forgot to do today... buy batteries for the scales, grrrrrrr :( I'll pop out to Tesco's at some point tonight if I can be bothered later. Quite disappointed though.

Anyway I'm mega proud of myself today - I resisted a BBQ lunch for a launch or something like that at work. Smells were sooo delicious but I kept thinking "It's cheap meat full of fat, white bread rolls are the mother of all evil and ketchup is full of sugar" and popped out to get myself a healthy lunch from M&S. It got easier once I put some decent food in my tummy and by the time I got back, BBQ was over but the cakes were out. I had my snack yogurt then to satisfy my craving for something sweet and it worked just fine.

I made turkey meatballs for dinner and calculated the calories for each ingredient I used and each meatball is around 50 kcal. These are decent size meatballs so 6 filled me up nicely. I could eat more but only because I like the taste and wanted more. Because of greed, in other words ;)

I'm setting myself a new challenge for tomorrow - I'll walk to work and back. Dreading the thought but I have to do some exercise.

So, here's what I ate today:

Breakfast
All-bran original (ate this dry today, better than dissolving in milk)

Lunch
M&S Chargrilled calamari rings with red pepper dressing, half the pack
Smoked salmon slice
Cottage cheese with onion & chive

Snack
Irish diet yogurt, forest fruits
Sunbites onion & rosemary 

Dinner
Turkey meatballs and carrots (see below for recipe)

Dessert
Muller light banana and custard yogurt

Total 1023 calories

Turkey meatballs recipe (makes 30)
630g turkey mince (Tesco's package weighs this much)
1 medium onion, grated or chopped in food processor
1 teaspoon Maggi liquid seasoning
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon smokey BBQ fajita spice mix
25g oat bran
25g couscous

So if you mix all this, it's your basic mix. It makes 30 meatballs and I measure it with a tablespoon. You'll notice they are quite soft. Put 2-3 tablespoons of plain flour on a tray and cover the meatballs with flour, chuck the rest. Rest the meatballs for 20 mins so the couscous and oat bran can absorb the liquids. You can dry fry these on a teflon frying pan, cook them in the oven or do what I do and turn them into a delicious soup!



Boil 1 litre water with a bit of salt, drop the meatballs in and cook for 10 mins or so. Thickly slice a couple of carrots and add these in too (after the 10 mins of cooking). Once the carrots are cooked, in a separate container whisk an egg yolk and two tablespoons of lemon juice. Add a bit of the water meatballs cooked in, like a cup or so, this way the egg warms up and it won't cook the second you pour it in the water. Then put this mixture in the saucepan slowly and keep mixing. It will thicken a bit. Sprinkle some dried mint and serve in a bowl with plenty of the juices which will be a very filling soup!



Night night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment